REGGIO EMILIA: AN EMERGENT CURRICULUM: In Anya Kamenetz’s book, How to Raise Great Kids According to Science, the details mentioned are very similar to the emerging Reggio Emilia curriculum. In some regions, this pedagogy is growing in popularity and in other parts of the world, it is a trusted method. What exactly is the Reggio Emilia method?
Origin of Reggio Emilia
- After the destruction of World War II, Loris Malaguzzi (along with a strong sense of community) founded this visionary teaching method in Reggio Emilia, a city in northern Italy.
- Through the identification of a strong connection between children, life, and education, the philosophy of the emerging curriculum was fulfilled.
- The city is still flourishing today, more than 50 years after the reparations.
What is Reggio Emilia?
- Understanding the philosophy of this method greatly expands the mind about how the idea can work.
- The main principles of the approach are based on the following foundations:
- Children are highly valued – they have extraordinary potential and are born with many resources.
- The poem “A Hundred Languages of Children” is a metaphor for the extraordinary potential of children.
- Participation and values promote dialogue and a sense of belonging The flow of quality information through documentation introduce parents to the quality of knowledge that tangibly changes expectations. The research represents one of the most important dimensions of a child’s and an adult’s life, which must be recognized and appreciated.
Why Odyssey The Global Preschool
- Our school was first built in Singapore in 2008 after an exhibition of the infamous poem “One Hundred Languages of Children” followed by an inspiring journey to the birthplace of philosophy, Italy. Due to the popularity of the emerging school curriculum, Odyssey, a Reggio Emilia-inspired global preschool, was transported to Setia Alam, Malaysia in 2014.
- Our global kindergarten is known not only for its Italian-rooted Reggio Emilia pedagogy, but also for innovative international learning from the United States and the United Kingdom. The Kindergarten offers an award-winning curriculum in a fully equipped campus designed for exploratory and independent learning.
- The child is always in the center of attention, supporting an educational culture of cooperation through active and competent learning while recognizing and using the role of the environment as an active teacher.
- It is a truly unique experience for inquisitive students to expand their knowledge while developing critical skills during the formative years of their lives. Through Odyssey, The Global Preschool’s unique emerging education program, children can also confidently develop a good sense of self that carries over into and beyond formal education.
REGGIO EMILIA: AN EMERGENT CURRICULUM